Friday, January 11, 2013

Blog #3


*    Entry #3: Comment on the relationship between oral language and the reading process.

Oral language greatly affects the reading process.  As children begin to develop oral language, they begin to make rules for language.  I found the reading this week very interesting in that it stated that all children are wired for language, it does not matter what language they are exposed to.  I have worked with many children, both ELL learners and children with limited language exposure.  These children struggle with reading because they do not have the vocabulary to comprehend what is being read.  When children have a strong vocabulary, they are able to make connections to stories.  The children are also able to build on their vocabulary as they read and can make inferences about what a word might mean.  A child may not know what a German Shepard is, but based on the sentence, the child would be able to figure out that the sentence is about a dog.  Because the child has an understanding of what a dog is, they are also able to have an understanding of a German Shepard. 
Oral language development occurs long before reading skills are developed.  Oral language is the foundation of understanding.  I have read several studies that track the quantity and quality of language children are exposed to.  The studies I have read, by Ruby Pane, have found that children in poverty are exposed to less language and the quality of language is poor.  As these children enter school, they tend to struggle more with reading.  The lack of exposure to language can really affect reading. 
When I recall my first reading experiences, I feel like the time my parents spent reading to me made the biggest difference in my ability to read.  I remember reading and sounding out words.  Because I had heard the word used before, I was able to gain meaning of the story.   Listening to language and being able to use language will help children build the necessary skills to develop reading comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment