Friday, January 11, 2013

Blog #2


Entry #2: Reflect on the writing instruction you have received. Which view of writing described in this chapter corresponds most closely to your experiences?

As a child in elementary school, I remember spending a great deal of time writing stories.  Creative writing was the emphasis.  The fundamentals of writing were taught in isolation, not included in the story writing sessions.  Writing was done independently, with only a topic presented by the teacher.  As I continued into middle school and high school, the emphasis shifted from creative writing to report writing.  Writing structure was taught explicitly and little deviation from the five paragraph report was accepted.  I believe I was taught writing using the acquisition view during the elementary years.  The conventions of writing were not the focus and teachers graded based on ideas, creativity and organization of writing rather than the conventions and structure of writing.  As I moved into middle and high school, I believe the instruction became more like that described in the learning view.  As I got older, the writing instruction became much more intentional and directive.  Writing conventions were highly emphasized and taught. 

I feel like I have struggled as a writer for most of my academic career.  I believe that if I had reversed the teaching styles so that I was getting the direct, explicit writing instruction in elementary school and a greater focus on the writing process as a middle school and high school student, I would have a stronger writing foundation.  In the time I have spent teaching writing, I have found that most students need the direct, explicit instruction for writing.  There are many steps and processes involved in creating a good piece of writing.  I have found that students are the most successful writers when they are given instruction about writing, starting with the basic concepts and building to a point when students can put together well written, grammatically correct sentences.  As students establish a strong foundation for writing, I could then build on the various writing processes and styles.  As with any topic a student is learning, I believe that a strong foundation is the key to success, and writing in no exception. 

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,
    I really appreciate your post. One, because it was interesting and well written, but two because at our district we are looking into our writing practices. For now, we do not have a cohesive writing curriculum that follows through the grade levels, and two, it seems as though teachers are teaching towards the process of writing rather than using a direct approach. I also believe that students need to be explicitely taught how to write, before they can write to learn. Your post gave me food for thought. Thanks, Helena

    ReplyDelete