Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Blog #4


Blog #4

 This was a very interesting activity.  I have always found myself trying to make sense of conversations I hear in restaurants or malls when others are speaking a language other than English.  I started off trying to make sense of an adult-fiction novel.  The novel was titled “La Luna Roja”.  I have a very limited knowledge of Spanish, but did recognize the title as “The Red Moon”.  Unfortunately, that was about all I was able to make sense of the book.  I started by trying to read the back of the book so that I would have an idea of what the story might be about.  I was unable to make any meaning from the back of the book.  As I started to read the first chapter, I was able to pick out a few words but that did not give me enough clues to make sense of the story.  I spent over 20 minutes on the first page alone, trying to recognize any of the words.  I was able to figure out the story took place 11 years ago during the spring, but that was all I could recognize.  While reading this piece of material, I tried several different strategies such as recognizing Spanish words that resembled English words.  For example, words like pijama and imaginar were found on the first page.  I was able to match these words with English words, pajama and imagine.  Unfortunately, identifying these two words did not give me enough information to make meaning.  I was also able to pick out characters names and names of places with the clue of punctuation.  I found reading the first page very frustrating.  I was sounding out the words (with English rules for pronunciation), moving fairly quickly through the text, but making no sense of the words. 

I then moved to an adult-nonfiction text entitled “Historias de Mexico”.  I found this text much less frustrating to read.  I used the same strategy as I had used in the first story I read, such as finding Spanish words that look like English words and using punctuation.  Because this text was nonfiction, the information included a lot of dates and places where events took place.  I was also able to make sense of some of this book because there were pictures and diagrams to go along with the text.  With the combination of a few words I recognized and the diagrams/pictures, I was able to get a general gist of the information.  I could not read the information word for word, but could give general details from the information.  I could move through the information in this story much more quickly.

I also tried to make sense of a children’s novel.  I even chose a book I was familiar with, but was written in Spanish, “El Leon, la Bruja y el Ropero” or “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe”.  It amazed me how much I rely on the words for meaning.  I have probably read this book at least 8 times, but when I was faced with trying to make meaning of the story when it was written in Spanish, I had a really hard time.  I could recognize the characters and pick out a few words, but the details were lost as I was trying to translate the story back into English.  Trying to make sense of a story I was supposed to know was very frustrating, probably the most frustrating of all the books I looked at.  I used the strategies listed above but couldn’t make sense of much.  The story has very few pictures, so the pictures could not give me a lot of information.  I tried to fill in the holes of the story that I could remember with the words I could pick out, but I knew I was missing a lot of the story.  I can only imagine how much information our ELL learners are missing when they are reading text completely in English!

The last book I looked at was a popular picture book “Owen”.  I have never read the story before, but found it easy to make meaning of the story.  I used the pictures predominantly, but once I was able to put the story in order, I went back and tried to make meaning of the words.  The pictures played a huge part in my ability to understand what the story was about.  I would be able to retell the story in my own words if needed.  I think that pictures are a valuable tool for children learning another language, but I would not want the child to depend solely on the pictures.  I do believe it is important to work with the text as well so that a true meaning is obtained and a connection and meaning of the words can be gathered. 

The strategies I used included:
·         Matching Spanish words to English words (look-a-likes)
·         Using diagrams and pictures for nonfiction text
·         Reading stories that are familiar
·         Using pictures in picture books
·         Taking the stories one page, or even one sentence at a time
·         I had to take several breaks to avoid becoming completely frustrated
·         I found myself reading aloud much of the time

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    FRUSTRATION! This seems to be something we had in common through our reading! I too found myself reading out loud and taking many breaks. I picked a familiar children's book, and thought I wouldn't have any trouble at all. However, I had the same results. I could pick out a few words, but comprehension was low.
    I really liked how you chose a picture book. I have found pictures are a great strategy. After this assignment, I see the importance of giving our students a "mental" break from all those feelings we experienced during this assignment with a picture book. I see many ways to use this as a wonderful teaching/learning tool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar experience when I had needed to read a Spanish text in the past. I Could usually pick out a few phrases, but overall the different conjugations of the verbs is what go me in the end. In English, we don't really have to think about how to change the verb tense we just do it, but when you are looking at it in another language, simply changing the ending can make it look like a different word completely. This is what I found frustrating, because when I would look up a word I realized that I did know the word, just in a different form. Another challenge with reading an adult novel, is that there are not very many pictures, if any at all, to help guide your understanding.

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    I love that you mention finding cognates as one of your strategies. When I am teaching my Spanish 1 class, that is one of the first things I discuss. Many languages have similarities, and finding or understanding cognates makes this much easier for students. I also had to giggle a little about how you tried to sound out words because I understand this completely. Even though I teach the spanish alphabet during the first week of school, I sometimes find myself making mistakes when I'm reading spanish myself--especially with putting the right stress on the correct syllable! Also, I think it was brilliant to take a book that you were familiar with, like The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and trying to make sense with your background knowledge. I didn't try that with the books I chose, but I am interested to try it and see if it makes any difference at all. Anyway, have a great weekend,
    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, Like you, I tried to read a fiction book summary, but was not able to understand the gist of the text. Using cognates, with similar latin origins, can be helpful but also can be misleading. You shared some great insights on "El Leon, la Bruja y el Ropero" in that even as adult readers we are processing information at the word level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I was struck by the amount of effort that you gave and also your frustration even as you tried your best... and you did not have the challenge of being around peers who understood the text. I am reminded of how often ELL's are excellent at mirroring their peers and looking like they know what is going on so that they do not stand out. I also thought you used good strategies... especially reading the text aloud (to help focus?) and taking breaks often.

    ReplyDelete